Saturday, March 12, 2016

Pomona

We ended up making another change in plans. This time it was not Colectiva or Equinox related. The Woman wanted to get back to the Twin Cities to help her dad deal with some medical issues, and get organized for a move in his apartment. Her only sister, Barb, who lives near their dad, looked to be alone in this challenge. So Robin wanted to try to get back to see her dad, help with the move, and add any support her sister needed. The nearest airport with reasonable flight costs into Minneapolis was in Ontario, and Pomona is only about 10 miles from the Ontario airport.

I pick on California and LA a bunch, but I have to admit, when you spend some time here the attraction is clearly apparent. In Pomona I am less than 30 miles from the Pacific and the center of LA. And yet regardless of being in a densely populated residential area, probably less than a mile from a Walmart and an In and Out Burger, you are also in the midst of mountains, hiking trails and open spaces. While the official population of Pamona is only about 150,000 it is just essentially a suburb of LA. Out hiking a mile from Colectiva I saw this hillside of wildflowers with the snowcapped mountains in the distance.

A mile in a different direction I found a hiking trail to the top of a considerable mound that appeared to have several geocaches hidden on it. I made my way up to the top and discovered a radar transmitter for the local Pomona executive airport. Again, you wouldn’t expect to find this essentially remote hiking experience and these spectacular views in the midst of some 13 million people – more than 18 million if you consider the combined statistical area.

As I hiked down from this peak I began to see some things that looked entirely familiar to me. As I pushed on I found myself at the entrance to Frank Bonelli Park and the RV Park we had been at two months ago for the Rose Parade.  I guess this is another vortex to add to my list.

Biking back to Colectiva I wandered through some residential historic districts. I had always considered myself a pretty good dad when Nick and Karen were young sprouts. At least I thought I was pretty good in crafting some play forts both in our home in the Twin Cities and then in Vegas. But after spotting this fort, I guess I was pretty “meh” as a dad.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment