Monday, August 14, 2017

Glacier II


The Woman impressed me. I picked a hike of just under 3 miles one way to Ptarmigan Falls. It had a pretty steep grade, gaining 800 feet on the way. I packed a lunch and figured we’d eat at the falls, and then head back.

Well, we got to the falls, and the Woman wanted to continue on to Iceberg Lake. That was another 2 plus miles, making our round trip well over 10. But she had seen some pictures of the lake in the Park brochure and really wanted to go.

So, we slogged our way up, and had our lunch looking out over a lake filled with icebergs. And it’s mid-August! The lake is still filed with icebergs in mid-August – how cool is that (actually, it’s quite cold)! I was impressed by the Woman’s stamina. We walked 10 miles daily in Spain, but didn’t generally climb 800 feet in the process!

The next day I assumed there would be no hiking. I was wrong. Not only did the Woman hike a couple of miles to St. Mary Falls, but she hiked a mile past it to get to Virginia Falls. Again, I am totally impressed by the stamina!

We have managed to bypass all the major forest fires ablaze in Glacier – all around in the West actually. But the Woman is getting totally fed up with the no campfire bans!

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment