Thursday, September 7, 2017

Fun drive!

Since we left a day early, we needed a parking spot for an additional night. Since we were unable to get an additional night in Billings – all full up for the Labor Day weekend – we stayed in Red Lodge Montana. We got lucky and found one of Peter Wolf Toth’s Whispering Giants outside the library – bonus!

Exiting Yellowstone toward Billings we drove the Beartooth Scenic Highway, which was on our to do list anyway. I guess I didn’t pay close enough attention when we reached the junction for US Highway 212. I thought there was a warning sign that indicated that vehicles over 40 feet were not recommended on 212 heading West. Given what Brenda was telling us, I think I mistook the warning as being 212 West, when I should have known it was 212 East.
This was likely the scariest driving I had ever done in Colectiva. The turns were so sharp that I could not maneuver many unless there was no oncoming traffic. Also, the pullouts to let traffic behind pass were few and far between. Luckily, traffic was extremely light, and all just small vehicles, so I was able to navigate without too much trouble, and let traffic pass in those rare moments when someone came up behind me. It was definitely white knuckle all the way.
We finally hit the summit at just under 11,000 feet – sheesh! But the views were astonishing, and we were able to pull over several times and just take in the panorama. If I had actually understood the sign, I would probably have not taken this road. In retrospect, I am really glad I didn’t understand it!
Red Lodge was all decked out for the Labor Day Weekend. It’s a cute little town with just about every building on Broadway being on the National Register of Historic Places. We strolled up and down reading all the historical information on the signage in front of nearly every building.
The old bank building in town was actually the site of a foiled robbery by the Sundance Kid and his Wild Bunch. On September 18, 1897, Sundance rode into town along with Kid Curry to carry out an unauthorized withdrawal from the Carbon County Bank. The actions of Sheriff John Dunn led to the capture of the gang, and they were returned to the Deadwood jail. Of course, they escaped again soon after.
Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment