Friday, February 9, 2018

Auto service in small town Texas

We’re on the island for three months, so I had no choice but to get the oil changed in the Equinox, if I didn’t want to run it well beyond the factory recommended interval. There was no place on the island to get an oil change, and the only options in Port Isabell were either Walmart or JR’s Fast and Fair shop. When possible, I always choose not-Walmart where possible.

Pardon my sounding presidential, but in Texas on the Rio Grande, English is not necessarily the common language. When I showed up at 1 PM to get the oil changed, the owner asked me if I wanted the filter changed as well. I said “yes”, and he said “You have one?”. I said “No” and he said “Either Walmart or O’Reily’s”. I said “Do you want me to go get one?” and he said “Si”.
So, I hit O’Reily’s and picked up a filter, and headed back to JR’s. When I gave the mechanic the keys, I told him the filter was on the driver seat. He said “Where is the oil?” I said “I wasn’t told I needed to bring the oil as well.” He said “Oh, OK – we can get the oil.”
Well, I have to admit that I am not used to this – getting used to Jiffy Lube I expected them to have filters, but never even considered having to bring my own oil. That being said, they did very good work, and nailed the 45-minute estimate for how long it would take. The cost was reasonable, and I was pleased.
So, if you ever need work in the South Padre Island area, I would recommend JR’s Fast and Fair. But if you come for an oil change, bring your own filter and oil!
Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment