Friday, August 31, 2018

Making the long slog to the lower 48


We set out on our long slog back to the south. We weren’t planning any sightseeing, just 6-8 hours of driving a day plus stops for breaks and lunch. What I had clearly forgotten was the condition of the Alaska Highway. My recall was that you had to pay attention, but that all the chatter about potholes and frost heaves was a bit overstated. Well, I stand corrected! In much of the portions of the Alaska Highway we have done so far, we had to keep our speeds down to under 50 in order to have time to slow for road damage. I guess you just gotta love it!
I recalled that every town along the way had RV parks, and every RV park had a motorhome and car wash set up. We never used them on our way north, but the heavy rains we have been experiencing combined with the miles and miles of roadway under repair (mud and gravel only), I know I am going to have to use one soon. By the way, I had stopped for diesel and decided to begin to remove some of the mud layer from the Equinox – if I hadn’t, the entire windshield would have been brown! Again, all I can say is you gotta love it!
Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment