Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I fudged up!

We made it to Mount Rainier National Park and found the La Wis Wis campground managed by the Forest Service.

When I made the reservation on www.recreation.gov, the site told me they could accommodate up to a 42-foot motorhome on their H loop. On arrival, we clearly questioned their judgment! The first thing we encounterred was a long narrow bridge into the loop – literally only a few inches of clearance on either side of Colectiva. To add to the excitement, there is a 90 degree turn at the entrance to the bridge.
I really thought I nailed it. But I heard a little noise as we crossed that made me assume I misjudged a bit. Upon parking and setting up Colectiva I learned that I had missed center by maybe a 1/16th of an inch. While not overly intense, it still left a mark.
Mount Rainier National Park is magnificent. We stopped here on our way to Alaska, but that was in either late April or early May, and nothing In the Park was open. We only were able to drive on some of the low roads around the base. While snow still covers all the higher regions, 2 of the visitor centers are open and all the main roads.
There is still so much snow in the upper regions of the mountain that most of the visitors up here are doing one of two things. They are either snowshoeing (100% of the trails are under snow) or they are cross country skiing!
All in all, both the Park and the mountain are glorious. The waterfalls are spectacular as the massive snow cover is still actively melting. Despite the snow the crowds are still dense. Nearly every parking area we have stopped at are full. I am glad we had a chance to come back and see more.
Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment