Friday, November 10, 2017

Rescue tape

Living in an RV seems to be a series of mishaps that could be a problem, if you let them get under your skin. As we left the Twin Cities, we were making our way South on I-35 when a car pulled up alongside, honking and pointing at the side of Colectiva. I clearly know what this means and pulled over.

One of our bay doors was part open. I had thought I had closed it securely when we left, putting my usual knee against it to make sure it latched. But I must have failed. The bay door was half open – the Woman got out and closed it and said all was OK – nothing had fallen out.
I learned the real truth when we arrived. I pulled out the heavy duty, ribbed with metal, hose that emptied our waste tanks from our macerator. When I turned on the pump, a small spray of waste water emitted from the hose a couple of feet from the end. I stopped it and looked at the hose – it must have dragged a while on I-35 when the bay door was open, and had been worn by dragging on the highway to the point where a couple of small holes existed. I had the Woman call the Camping World I had seen a few miles back to see if we could get an appointment in the morning to replace the hose, fully expecting to be told they were booked up for a week or more. Unfortunately, the Woman found the service center had already closed for the day.
Fortunately, the Woman blurted out “can’t you just repair it with duct tape or something?” Apparently at nearly 65 my mind lacks the sharpness I was used to. I shouted “Rescue tape and Gorilla tape” and headed out with paper towels, scissors, and antibiotic wipes. Rescue tape is claimed to be capable of repairing holes in garden hose, so why not macerator hose. It worked! Our hose is nearly as good as new – no leakage at all – and now I can wait until we get back to Vegas to replace it – yippeeeeeeeeee!
Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment