Monday, July 12, 2021

I learned something the hard way


We had two low shrubs in our back yard that I had never seen before, other than in many of the yards in our neighborhood. The way it seems to be growing is that the bulk of the healthy-looking green shoots are grouped in the middle. The shoots lying close to the ground turn brown, and look to be either dying or dead. So, I decided to trim the ugly shoots around the base to make them look far prettier. What a mistake that turned out to be!


Soon after pruning, my face became very swollen, and my left eye began to water seriously. I had originally though that some of what was going on with my face had been from a lot more mask wearing as we were increasing our restaurant, bar and store visits. In researching on Google, I learned that these plants are a member of the Euphorbia species – and I started seeing labels like “poisonous” and “toxic”. Wikipedia says Euphorbia produces a milky latex sap, and goes on to say “In contact with mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth), the latex can produce extremely painful 
inflammation.” I also noticed my vision was more blurred than usual.  Per Wikipedia “The sap has also been known to cause mild to extreme Keratouveitis, which affects vision.”

Never again!

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment