Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The dark side of the RV lifestyle

My blogs tend to glorify the RV travel experience, at least in my mind. But, there is a dark side to RV travel. On a terrestrial home, generally when stuff breaks, there is no urgency. You get around to fixing things when you find the time. The routine in an RV is more regimented than it appears. When you arrive somewhere, you have to connect your power, you have to connect your water, and maybe some ancillary luxuries like cable and such. When you are ready to leave, you just disconnect those things you connected, but there is one must – while you were stationary, all the water you used is collected in tanks under your coach. Those tanks have a fixed capacity, so periodically, and certainly when you leave, you have to empty those tanks into a sewer system. Luckily, we usually spend the night where there is sewer access just yards from Colectiva.

Well, today didn’t go as planned. When I went to empty Colectiva’s tanks, nothing would come out. I was in there, so it should, but it didn’t. We have what is called a macerator, basically a pump that grinds and mashes the wastes in the tanks and pushes them out a garden hose with a spigot at the end. Most people just empty their wastes through a 3 inch diameter hose that they have to rinse out and store. With a macerator, you never hook anything up, you just pull out a hose, point it into the sewer receptacle, open the spigot and flip the pump switch. No muss and no mess. 99.9% of the time, I love it. In that .01% of the time, it becomes very complicated.

Because a macerator shields you from the mess, it also shields you from being able to diagnose what the problem is. I assumed there was some kind of blockage in the tank that collects the water from Colectiva’s toilet. The mobile tech couldn’t come out for a couple days to try to address our issue, and our tank was already full. That meant using no water in the coach until he could get there, so with some counsel from him, I tried some fixes.

I had read many a tale of owners who drove their coaches for years, only to find out that when their manufacturer built their coach, they carelessly allowed the plastic disc created from drilling the pipe sized hole in the top of the tank to fall into the tank, and not make sure they removed it. To the owner’s woe, that plastic disc would later find its way to one day, for no particular reason, block the exit from the tank. Only with considerable cost were they able to correct for this sloppy manufacturing error. The tech suggested I could snake some PEX water pipe down into the tank, and just move it around all over the floor of the tank to dislodge whatever the blockage might be.

I bought 10 feet of PEX, assuming I might need 4 or 5 feet, but didn’t want to underestimate. Well, I needed the whole 10 feet! I learned that Colectiva has what owners consider a problem – owners expect that the pipe from the bottom of their toilet will drop straight into the tank with no bends – bends cause problems. In Colectiva, there is a 90 degree bend in the waste pipe about 6 inches below the toilet – now I better understand some of the problems we have had over the last 8 years. Anyway, I managed to snake the PEX pipe though that 90 degree bend, and the next one that was inevitably required, to get down into the actual tank itself. It took all of the 10 feet of PEX I had to be able to scour the bottom of the tank.

Now again past indelicate – standing over a marine toilet with an open pipe (to get the PEX in through) is not charming. Next, PEX is basically stiff but flexible water line – i.e. hole in the middle. When you put it into a lot of liquid and slosh it around, guess what gets forced up through the hold in the center of the PEX? Nuff said. I pressed my palm over the end to keep it from spurting out. Anyway, the good news is I got the PEX down into the tank. The bad news is the tank would still not empty.

My other options were to disconnect everything, drive around for a bit, and see fi that movement sloshed around things enough to allow the tanks to empty. That would be last resort. I attempted to disconnect the hoses between the tanks and the macerator see if they may be plugged, but they had been heavily sealed by the installer of the macerator, so I couldn’t get them apart, which was OK sort of because those lines contain a gallon or two of waste I would have to figure out how to deal with. At last, I had read in one of the many sites I had researched looking for a possible solution that possibly pouring water into the hose coming out from the macerator might act much like priming a pump. I knew there was already liquid in that line, so I lifted it up high in the middle, forcing some of the liquid back toward the macerator pump. With it held in the air I flipped the on/off switch, and I could hear a very heavy low groaning, followed soon by the voices of angels – the normal sound of pumping out the contents of the tanks. Apparently the extra liquid created enough seal to cause an increase in the amount of suction, and liberated whatever blockage had been the culprit. Yippee! Empty tanks and no service bill!

Of course when you are on the road, it’s not just your house that can be a problem. We have been plagued with repairs on the Saturn for the last few years. Catalytic converter, passenger seat heater, AC repairs – each of them seems to run $1,000 to $1,500. We had been hoping to nurse the Saturn back to Vegas over the holidays to have time to perhaps replace it and get a new vehicle set up to be towed behind Colectiva. Well, yesterday the Check Engine light came on. Last time that happened it was the catalytic converter and $1,500.

I knew that even getting the light diagnosed would be $150. It occurred to me that the light had come on very shortly after having stopped to get gas. While this has never happened to me before, since I know that the Check Engine light deals primarily with pollution control systems, I wonder if there might be a connection. When I stopped at ACE Hardware to get a needed tool, I looked in their automotive section to see if they had a fuel additive – they didn’t. So, instinctively, I just stopped when the tank was still nearly full and put about 3 gallons of premium fuel into the Saturn. I reasoned that maybe I had a tank of slightly bad gas, and adding 3 gallons of premium would blend with what was in the tank, clean it up a bit, and increase the octane in what was already there.

Well, there was no change as we left the station and drove on. While I assumed it was a long shot, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. But lo and behold, about 10 miles later as I rounded one of the many sharp curves in the Ozarks, the Check Engine light went out! And it hasn’t come back on since.

To expensive debacles averted! I love it when things come together.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment