Monday, February 29, 2016

More California

As I have mentioned before it strikes me that folk here are way too cautious in terms of their warning signage. I mean I understand that risks should really be pointed out in advance, but it strikes me that certain things are just plain already understood. Like if you hike in the woods there will likely be ticks.

Or the fact that if you are going to be hiking in the woods that there might be some poison oak around that you could get into. Or you would think that if you are going to be hiking around some rocky areas, that you might encounter a snake or two.

And if you are hiking out in the wilderness that you might, in fact, encounter some wild animals. All three of these signs were placed at the entrance to a hiking trail we set out on in one of the California State Parks. You have to wonder if they really want you to come here to hike!
However there are things that most normal folk (I take some liberty in describing myself) might not expect to encounter in a walk in the woods. Do you know why you have to be accompanied by children when you encounter Big Foot? Because, then you don’t have to be able to outrun Big Foot. You just have to be able to outrun the child!
 
Along the North Fork of the American River I thought this idea was a really good concept. I guess funding for the idea ran out, or maybe they evaluated the cost and the return and determined it wasn't worth actually hanging some life jackets out here.

I thought that California was generally a pretty dog friendly state. But I guess that here they are more livestock friendly than they are dog friendly. Look what happens if your dog causes some local livestock to worry a bit!

We have paid many a visit to California and other state parks during low seasons. Generally they don’t actually man the toll booths in low season. They just post a drop box and leave you with some milk money envelopes to complete, and then put a tag on your dashboard showing that you have paid and are legit.

I always thought that where you put your milk money envelope was a drop box. I didn’t realize that it had a technical name to those in the State Park business. But I really like the nonetheless and plan to use it consistently from now on.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment