Friday, February 5, 2016

Only in California!

Only in California have we stumbled upon a First Amendment Area in a National Park. I assume that I am properly asserting my First Amendment rights by boldly standing here and taking a photo of this sign. And yes, I understand the National Park Service doesn’t endorse me taking a photo of this sign, and I have not paid them for the privilege.

Sadly the Woman concluded that she didn’t need me watched after for  a bit. So even though I asked to be dropped off for an hour or so, my request was denied.

I don’t know what you might be thinking here. But I’m thinking that old Mr. Twain is trying to steal a little bit of a kiss off my Woman!

I know that Hinduism has a strong following in this state. Lord Krishna is worshipped here by a considerable portion of the population. Question – do I need to be a Hindu in order to make photocopies here, or do I just get a discount?

We learned that missions in California come with warning signs. Maybe that is because the Camino Real on which the missions are found runs along the San Andreas Fault much of the way. It also may be that California is just warning sign crazy. But you gotta love it – please come see the beautiful church – and please remember that you will not be safe when you do!

We also learned that we took our lives into our own hands just venturing out onto a pier in California. You know, I have seen sea lions move on land before. They have huge bellies and flippers – no legs or feet. Maybe I am naïve, but I think I could outrun a rogue “vicious” sea lion. But I decided not to test my theory.

In California you take your life in your own hands when you follow the El Camino Real along the Fault and visit the various missions. Apparently you also take your life in your own hands every time you venture out onto a pier or on a dock in a marina. But who knew you also take your life into your own hands every time you go out on a hike!

Even the trees in California come with warning signs. The most interesting thing about this warning sign, I think, is that it is really small. So, in order to actually figure out what it says, you need to get up close and personal, directly under the tree!

I have to believe that only in California is the international symbol for an alcoholic beverage a martini glass. Not just a martini glass I guess, but one with a swizzle stick so it is stirred, not shaken (sorry Bond). Oh yes, and with an olive, not a twist.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment